History of Indian cricket|History of Indian cricket team
The most popular Indian pastime no,not street food, not Bollywood, not bargaining…definitely not even teasing! We’re speaking of the most thrilling history of Indian Cricket.
Although we like to think that it began with gilli-danda, most Historians agree that cricket, as we know it, came to India with English sailors in the 1700s.
Indian cricket originated in which state:-
- Since the English played the game, all the important English spots- Calcutta,Madras and Bombay became cricketing zones.
- Cricket clubs started getting formed all over the country.
- But the clubs were all-white clubs with a bunch of English playing against each other.
Then slowly the wealthy Indians started playing the game.
First cricketer of India:-
- The first to play with the English were the Parsis. They also became the first Indians to tour England.
- The Parsis and English were having regular tournaments in Bombay.
- The Hindu Maharajas started forming their own teams.
Formation of cricket clubs:-
- A Hindu cricketing club, “Bombay Union”, was formed in…Bombay. So now we had a triangular series in Bombay.
- Hindu cricketers sorted themselves on the lines of caste and region of origin.
- Now, of course, Muslims too wanted to compete, making it the Bombay Quadrangular series.
- But even then, many sections of Indians were left out in this communal cricket.
- So all the others joined as a group called “The Rest”. Thus we had the Bombay Pentangular series!
- See, cricket had a lot of drama even before IPL! Gradually some Europeans started touring India. Popularity of the game grew.
- Meanwhile two Indians Ranjit singhji and Duleep sinhji were proving themselves to be cricketers of great merit in England.
- Now both of these wonderful cricketers played for England.
India first test match 1932:-
Then, in 1932, led by C.K. Nayudu, India made its test debut in England. But from there till around 1950s, we were still considered a weak team.
Rise of BCCI:-
- domestically, we were gearing up for better days- BCCI was formed, Ranji trophy was started.
- 1952 saw two landmark victories for us- 1st test victory against England and 1st series victory against Pakistan.
- In the coming years, we were considered a force to be reckoned with on home territory.
- We had legends like Tiger Pataudi, Bishan Singh Bedi, EAS Prasanna, Gundappa Viswanath and many others.
- In the 1970s globally cricket was transitioning from test matches to One Day cricket.
- And we were finding it a bit tough to go with the new trend.
Rise of Indian cricket:-
This too was about to change. 1980s brought Kapil Dev, Sunil Gavaskar, Ravi Shastri, Kris Srikanth, Madan Lal and a wave of cricketing masters we worship today.
- India was becoming good at the game. Still, in 1983, West Indies were the thought to be the best team.
- We were nowhere close. So just imagine the thrill when Kapil and team lifted the world cup defeating the mighty West Indies!
- It was the most spectacular, most memorable event ever.
- The whole nation went bonkers! Cricket in India had finally arrived.
And the rest, as they say, is an oft repeated and treasured History of Indian cricket.