There have been many great individual innings by a batsman in ODI cricket. Since the birth of ODI cricket, several batsmen have played a remarkable knock which will be remembered for a long time. Here I will tell you about the top 10 highest individual score in ODIs that are worth remembering.
There have been many double hundreds after that which are a part of this list of Top 10 highest ODI score by a batsman.
Top 10 highest ODI score by a batsman (highest to lowest)
1. Rohit Sharma (264 runs)
- The current vice-captain of India is at the top in this list of highest individual ODI score by a batsman. He played an unimaginable knock of 264 runs not out against Sri Lanka.
- Other than hitting the highest individual ODI score, he also shattered some other records. He made the record of facing most number of balls in an inning (173 balls) and hitting the most number of boundaries (44 boundaries – 33 fours and 9 sixes).
- He scored 264 runs with a majestic strike rate of 152 in ODI which is considered as good strike rate in T20 cricket! India made 404 runs in that match and Sri Lanka were bowled out for just 251 runs which was 13 runs less than Rohit Sharma’s innings! Amazing, isn’t it!
2. Martin Guptil (237 runs)
- The 2nd player in this list of highest individual ODI score by a batsman is New Zealand’s opener batsman Martin Guptil. Guptil made 237 runs after facing 163 balls against West Indies.
- The best thing about his innings was that this came in 2015 ODI world cup quarter-final match which makes it even more memorable. He hit 24 fours and 11 sixes in his innings with a strike rate of 145. West Indies were bowled out for 250 runs and lost this match by 143 runs.
3. Virender Sehwag (219 runs)
- When we are talking about the highest individual run-scorers in an innings, how can Virender Sehwag not feature in the list?
- The 3rd spot is occupied by legendry Indian Batsman Virender Sehwag who hit 219 runs in 149 balls against West Indies. In this innings, he hit 25 fours and 7 sixes and empowered the team to make their highest team total of 418 runs in ODI.
- 418 runs is still the highest score of India in ODI. West Indies were all out for 265 runs and India won the match comfortably.
4. Chris Gayle (215 runs)
- The 4th cricketer in this list of Top 10 highest ODI score by a batsman is West Indies power hitter Chris Gayle. He made 215 runs in 147 balls against Zimbabwe.
- He hit 10 fours and 16 sixes in his innings and equaled the record of most number of sixes in an innings of Rohit Sharma.
- He was the 1st batsman to hit a double hundred in the ODI world cup. He and Martin Guptill both hit ODI double hundred in 2015 world cup where Chris Gayle was the 1st to achieve this feat.
- Gayle along with Marlon Samuels (133 runs) also made the highest partnership in an ODI match (372 runs).
5. Fakhar Zaman (210 runs)
- Fakhar Zaman of Pakistan is the 5th batsman in the list of top individual run scorers in a match in ODIs. He scored 210 runs in 156 balls and hit 25 fours and 5 sixes in this innings against Zimbabwe.
- He propelled Pakistan to their innings total of 399 runs for the loss of only 1 wicket. Due to his innings, Pakistan easily won the match defeating Zimbabwe by a huge margin of 244 runs.
6. Rohit Sharma (209 runs)
- Rohit Sharma has scored 3 double hundreds in ODIs and this was his 1st double hundred in which he hit 209 runs of 158 balls with a strike rate of 132.
- His innings of 209 runs came against Australia where he hit 16 sixes in this innings and made the record of most number of sixes in an innings by a batsman.
- Due to his knock, India managed to make 383 runs and defeated Australia by 57 runs.
7. Rohit Sharma (208 runs)
- 7th spot in this list is also occupied by Rohit Sharma. This was his 3rd double hundred which came against Sri Lanka in 2017. He made 208 runs in 153 balls and hit 13 fours and 12 sixes.
- He was slow in the initial part of his innings but picked up pace after completing his century. He just took 36 balls to complete another hundred runs and hit 208 runs with an overall strike rate of 135.
- His knock ensured India’s win and India defeated Sri Lanka by 141 runs.
8. Sachin Tendulkar (200 runs)
- The god of cricket, Sachin Tendulkar is also in this list of Top 10 highest ODI score by a batsman. He was the 1st batsman to hit a double hundred in ODIs. Every other double century came after his knock of 200 runs.
- His 200 runs came against South Africa in 2010. He faced 147 balls and hit 25 fours and 3 sixes in his innings with a strike rate of 136.
- India managed to score 401 runs and easily defeated South Africa by 153 runs.
9. Charles Coventry (194 runs)
- Zimbabwe’s cricketer Charles Coventry occupies the 9th spot in this list of Top 10 highest individual score in ODI. He made 194 runs after facing 156 balls and remained not out till the end.
- He made this score against Bangladesh in 2009. At that time, Bangladesh was not as good as they are today.
- Coventry hit 16 fours and 7 sixes in his innings with a strike rate of 124 but was unable to complete 200 runs. Despite his 194 runs, Zimbabwe only managed to get 312 runs and Zimbabwe lost the match as Bangladesh chased this down with 13 balls still remaining.
10. Saeed Anwar (194 runs)
- The legendary Pakistani batsman Saeed Anwar is the 10th and the last player in this list of Top 10 highest individual score in ODI match.
- He made 194 runs against India in 1997 when batting was not easy and playing such aggressive cricket was difficult.
- He made 194 runs after facing 146 balls and hit 21 fours and 5 sixes with a strike rate of 132. Pakistan made 327 runs due to his aggressive batting and India was defeated by 35 runs.
- He held the record of highest ODI scorer in an innings for 13 years which was broken by Sachin in 2010 when he hit 200 runs.